I’m sharing my client Debbie’s hair journey today. This is a colour change I’m especially proud of . Although all of them give Me that warm fuzzy feeling, this one was a #peach literally ??
Debbie has been My client for a few Years now. We’ve had some great in salon bants about weight loss, weights, muscles, doms, recipes etc etc I was lucky enough to be Debbie’s bridal stylist for her wedding last May. I always look forward to her visits. Earlier this year She trusted Me to cut her waist length hair up to her shoulder. As always it was beautiful and She wears it so well.
I’m finally back after a long break from blogging. I’ve had a very busy few months at work and My salon has needed all my attention. I’ve been up to my eyes working and studying for my second Chemical colour degree with Alfaparf Ireland.
Yesterday I was on a training day with Alfaparf in Galway. It was a Scalp analysis course with in depth training for the Semi di Lino range. It was a great day, the course was taught by Aileen Maher and I learned loads. I always come away from a course feeling refreshed and full of ideas. I find up-skilling is an essential part of my career. I really enjoy learning new things and I always pick up a few tips and tricks.
We went through all the shampoos and conditioners and Masks in the range. Aileen explained exactly which ingredients were in each product in the range. It was so interesting. Even though I have been using the range for ages there was still so much I hadn’t realised. All the ingredients are as natural as possible and of course they are free from chemical sulphates and parabens.
My favorite products in the range are the Magnifying shampoo and conditioner. This really suits my fine hair. It contains oat protein and needs to be left on for a few minutes to allow the oat protein to swell and plump up the hair. If You have fine hair trust me You need this.
The Nutri range contains honey and is perfect for dry hair due to the high moisture levels contained naturally in honey. This works on the hydrogen bond within the hair and hydrates without weighing hair down.
The Discipline range contains almond butter and makes light work of Frizzy unruly difficult hair. It hydrates and helps to soften the cuticle to tame hair and make it more manageable.
The reconstruction range contains Bamboo with is a natural strengthening product. This plumps protein into the hair while still allowing flexible movement throughout. Perfect for brittle chemically damaged hair.
The illumination range is perfect for normal healthy hair. It contains linseed oil and gives softness and shine. It’s a fab product and gives a brilliant shine. Amazing on blondes.
We also went through some scalp issues like hair loss, thinning hair, over oily scalp and dry scalp.
Massaging the scalp daily or just before shampooing can really help with some common scalp issues. Massage can help to stimulate the papilla muscle which pumps blood into the root of the root helping it to grow. Regular detoxification or exfoliation of the scalp can also help with growth.
Alopicia can be caused by stress, hormonal changes, anxiety, medication etc etc. There’s loads of different reasons that hair can start to fall out or slow growth. If You feel You are experiencing some hair loss, mention it to me at Your next appointment and I will advise You on the correct products.
Thanks for reading folks and please share.
Love Maria xx
Hope You are all well. As I’m sure You have all heard I’m organising an event in Breaffy house resort on Sunday September 4th. It’s a ladies afternoon there will be Hair & Make up demos, a fitness talk and I have a fabulous lady to chat to You all about the importance of emotional well being. There will be a break for afternoon tea and a glass of bubbles and a chance to chat and browse stands.
We will be holding a raffle and a collection on the day to raise funds for Breast Cancer Research. As You know this is close to my own heart and I’d love to contribute in some way to the cause. A few business have already got in touch to donate raffle prizes. Thank You to all who have contributed so far. If anyone else would like to donate a voucher or a prize please contact me on Facebook or at Maria@mrsdillonsdiary.ie
I’m hoping the day will be a huge success I think it’s time We had an event like this in Castlebar. It will be a lovely opportunity for a girls day out for a bit of fun and hopefully We all come away from the day having learned somthing. Let me know what You think??
Tickets are available to purchase at eventbrite.
Please note this is a ticket only event, as there is food being served and goodybags. Please purchase Your tickets in advance to avoid dissapointment. Keep an eye on my snapchat for updates on the coming weeks Mrspdilly2b
Love Maria xx
Can You believe it’s March already? The last two months have just whizzed by. We have been doing some beautiful work in the salon this Spring. Of course Olaplex is featured quite a lot as always. Having used Olaplex since August now We are really getting into the swing of things. Clients are requesting Olaplex with every set of highlights or colour now as they can see the amazing impact. Hair becomes a lot more manageable and looks glossy, shines and appears thicker. Teamed with professional shampoo and conditioner for homecare. Olaplex is a dream, a real game changer in hairdressing. Protecting the hair structure, reconstruction of hair bonds from the inside, and fabulous condition. It’s a win win all round.
This is just a few quick tips on managing Your own hair. A few simple Habit changes can make life easier. We often end up having these chats in the salon. I suppose I can forget sometimes that things I think are basic are not known by everyone. I thought I’d share these ten little nuggets of information. Feel free to snapchat me or comment or message me any time if You have any questions or want to know anything about hair.
I hope they help someone and please click share.
- Invest in a good quality shampoo and conditioner
- Shampoo twice rinse and apply conditioner through the mid lengths and ends avoiding the scalp area only.
- Don’t overload the hair with product. You might think You need half the bottle of conditioner but trust me, the finer layers of product can penetrate the hair easier. Use too much and it will just go down the plughole.
- Pat dry with a towel soaking up the water. Vigorous towel drying will cause more tangles.
- Begin de-tangling immediately start from the ends work your way up. Starting at the top brushing down will cause breakage.
- Dry Your hair properly with a hairdryer. Contrary to popular belief drying hair naturally is actually more harmful than using heat. When we dry the hair we shut down the cuticle protecting the inner bonds of the hair.
- Use a nozzle. The reason we have a nozzle on the dryer is to direct heat to one place. This ensures a smoother finish.
- Avoid tying hair up wet. This is lethal for breakage, avoid at all costs.
- Know Your hair. Is it dry and damaged from over colouring? Is the damage from incorrect handling? Vigorous brushing, brushing tangles out dry etc? Or have You always had dry or frizzy hair naturally? Maybe You have normal hair that just needs a few tweaks to your styling habits.
- Use the correct products for Your hair type. There are loads of brilliant products out there. Just make sure you are using the correct one for Your hair. For example a lady who has naturally dry frizzy hair needs a moisture boosting shampoo mask and maybe a styling oil or cream. This is necessary for maintaining naturally dry hair. A lady with fine hair maybe has broken ends from incorrect use of the Straightner or over colouring. Will need a protein based reconstruction range for weakened hair. Just be aware of the difference.
Today I have a bridal post for you all. As it’s coming up to our first wedding anniversary I thought it’s perfect timing. So a lot of You who have been following me on Facebook for a while know I documented my bridal prep journey. It started in 2013 when We got engaged and continued up until our wedding in March 2015. A lot of brides write to me asking advice about their hair for their wedding and how to get their bridal mane in fabulous condition. I also get a lot of questions about my weightloss in prep for our wedding. I always called it “Bridal Bootcamp” for the craic. I felt I was in Bootcamp with all the preparation and planning for the big day.
I was inspired to write this piece after chatting with my blogger buddy Lisa Leonard from BeautyFashionFitness.wordpress.com Lisa is currently on her bridal Bootcamp for her wedding in June. Lisa is a great one to follow for any brides out there. You’ll find her on snapchat at BFFLISA
So my own area of expertise is of course Bridal hair I have styled many brides and helped them prepare their hair for their big day. I’ve put together a few tips that would be essential for a bride or even just for anyone looking to improve their hair in general. Depending on how much work needs to be done I’d normally like a year to achieve the best possible condition and to ensure growth, but of course this isn’t always possible.
- Start to prep the hair about a year before the wedding. Book in with Your stylist for a full consultation to look at the colour , length, condition, cut etc Discuss Your dream hair with Your stylist and together You can make a plan.
- Stop any home colouring immediately. I know most of You don’t colour at home anyway but just in case there’s anyone who still does.
- Book in regular trims with Your stylist. You need a little trim a minimum of every 12 weeks.
- Get the colour right now. The sooner You get Your colour right the better. If You are happy with Your current shade now happy days. If not You need to start booking those Colour appointments ASAP. If Your hair is highlighted it may or may not need a few full heads of highlights to even it out for the big day. This is something that needs to be addressed early to allow you to build up to the dream colour.
- Start Olaplex with every colour application immediately. Trust me every girl needs it in her life. Just amazing. I’ve written a few posts on Olaplex You’ll find them on my blog.
- Make a decision on the shape of the haircut. If You are planning an upstyle I’d recommend growing out any short layers. You don’t need them. A one length or even just some long layers will give you far more options. One place You need some length is around Your face. Avoid chopping into or blending in the sides too much. If Your hair is heavily layered at the moment, commit to growing it out.
- Next is Home care, this is the hard part. You need to be kind to Your hair. Treat Your hair with respect. I know this seems obvious but You’d be surprised how a few small changes can improve Your hair immensely.
- Invest in a salon shampoo and conditioner. Sulphate free. Reccomend by Your hairdresser who actually knows Your hair. Don’t kid Yourself by buying shampoo from the supermarket. It’s cheap for a reason because the ingredients are cheap. It’s really not worth the saving because it costs You more in the long run to undo the damage.
- Go easy on the brushing. If You suffer with tangles try leaving Your conditioner on longer and de-tangle in the shower with a wide toothed comb.
- Go easy on the towel drying , gently pat to soak up the water and de tangle immediately. Don’t leave it in a towel for 30mins and then vigorously brush this will break Your hair. Hair is at its most vulnerable when it’s wet, so be kind.
- Dry Your hair 100% with a hairdryer with the nozzle on. In a downward direction No head upside down unless you want frizz?? Yes you read that right. Drying it 100% will shut down the cuticle protecting the inner bonds. That’s why you need the nozzle to direct the heat.Tying hair up wet causes more breakage than any heat appliance ever could.
- Try to avoid over washing. Every second day is plenty and if You can leave it longer by all means do.
- The Straightner is next. Used properly it really shouldn’t cause too much damage at all. If You condition and Blowdry your hair properly in the direction it’s meant to go. You shouldn’t need much straightening unless You have very unmanageable hair. Wash, condition, dry and if it’s necessary use your Straightner I Reccomend GHD. Take small sections and apply a tiny bit of pressure. You only need to go over the hair once, maybe twice. A GHD will not damage Your hair but poor technique definitely will. As will straightening over hair that has been previously straighted. This will break the cuticle scales causing irreversible damage in which case It will need to be cut off. Do it once, do it properly and leave it until the next wash.
- Taking supplements can definitely help. I use silica and also EFAs like omega 3,6&9 can really help with hair growth. These can be picked up from Your local Health shop. Heneghans health shop here in Castlebar stock them.
- I’d reccomend getting Your colour done a few days before Your wedding. At this point You will be only maintaining Your hair. All the steps will have come together and Your mane will be divine.
I’m going to write a separate post on Planning Your bridal hair style. I think it would be very long and information overload if it was all in one post. Please let me know what You think of this post and share if You find it helpful.
As always Thanks for reading
Love Maria xx
I’m back today with a hair blog. Some beautiful photos of my lovely client Colette. I styled Colette and her bridal party last month. We spent about 12 -18 months getting Colettes mane ready for her big day. Her hair is all her own and in fabulous condition. No extensions or hairpieces used. I have been looking after Colettes colour by using Olaplex treatments every time I highlight her hair. Giving regular trims as well as home care tips. I’m actually very proud of the condition of Colettes long thick silky mane. She is a perfect example of how the right colour, the right cut and the right shampoo and conditioner can ensure an enviable glossy bridal look.
We done a hair trial at the end of November about two weeks before the big day. This is plenty of time as it’s hard to know what exactly You want until near the wedding.
We done Colettes highlights with a toner and Olaplex on the Tuesday before her Wedding. This left her colour fresh and luminous for her December wedding.
I prepped the hair by pin curling it on the Friday evening. This gives excellent hold and creates a vintage style wave to the hair.
Ashling from Glo beauty clinic in Castlebar done a fabulous job on Colettes bridal make up as always.
For the bridesmaids I went with a rustic theme to compliment the beautiful blush pink dresses.
If You are getting married and are thinking of booking a hairdresser call me for a chat on 0949035835. I also travel within Mayo for weddings. Although I have been known to go further on occasions.
It’s always a pleasure to be a part of any brides big day. It’s such a fabulous morning and We always have fun even though we are working. Thank You to Colette and her lovely family for having me . I really enjoyed all the bridal prep and the fun on the big day.
As always thanks for reading and please share.
Love Maria xxx
Happy Saturday. We received our Christmas order from ALFAPARF yesterday. We had great excitement doing our Christmas window display. The salon feels so festive I just love Christmas.
So here’s what We have in stock for Christmas 2015. We have four different types of gift sets. So for Yourself or someone else We have it covered. Check out the little videos on my Facebook page for a proper look at the sets.
Semi di Lino Illuminating shampoo, mask and hairbrush sets are €24.99. Suitable for normal hair and gives amazing shine. It’s suitable for any hair type.
Semi do Lino disipline sets contain a shampoo, mask and a humidity block spray. This set is suitable for frizzy hair that is difficult to manage. The butter mask is quite heavy so it’s perfect for thick unmanageable hair. €24.99 for this set.
These make great Christmas presents. Especially if You get someone in the Secret Santa. Who wouldn’t love some luxurious hair products?? I’m always raving on about it, but good quality products makes hair so much easier to manage.
Next Up are two beautiful sets. Once is the “magnifying ” range for hair that is fine in texture. I actually use this myself and I love it. It’s good for short hair as it gives perfect lightweight hydration. It also comes in the “reconstruction ” range which is packed full of protein and is for very damaged hair.These set contains a gorgeous precious oil body wash and body cream. These are slightly more luxurious and come in at €29.99.
Next is the “moisture set” these contain a shampoo, conditioner and a split ends serum. This is suitable for dry hair. I have used this shampoo in the past and I found it brilliant. It’s very nourishing but again not too heavy. This set is priced at €29.99
Last but not least We have Professional Salon dryers for €49.99 this is an excellent Christmas present for anyone. It’s also a great investment for Yourself. Everyone needs a proper hairdryer with a nozzle to Blowdry their hair properly.
I hope You enjoyed this post and please share it. You can call into us in the salon anytime to have a look. We are located on Market Sq Castlebar. You can’t miss us with our big pink PLATINUMHAIRDRESSING sign outside.
Thanks for reading
Love Maria xx