I think half the country is doing the same thing today. Healthy eating, exercising, ditching the alcohol and chocolate, drinking water. Yes We are all in the same boat, but lets not pretend its easy. Truth be told its hard work weaning ourselves off the treats and its even harder again to stick to it. Its always worth it though, like the saying goes ” summer bodies are made in the winter” Lets face it, we all know the weeks will simply fly by. Next thing it will be Valentines day and We will all want to be skinny so We can purchase something sexy from the new Spring collection to wear. Before we know it Paddy’s day and Easter will be upon us and it will be time to ditch the black tights and bare our legs. I am keeping those thoughts in my mind to help keep me focused for the next two months. January and February are great months in which We can achieve some of our weight-loss goals. I’ve put together a list of a few tips that I found helped me to lose and maintain three stone for our wedding last March. 2016 is a fresh start and a great excuse to banish old habits and create some new ones. Have a read and let me know what You think.
*Disclaimer I am no expert in health or nutrition. These are just a few things that helped me.
Please share this post with anyone You think may find it helpful.
Thank You for reading,
Love Maria xx
1) Increase intake of vegetables and fruit at every meal. Vegetables contain massive amounts of soluble fiber, this is essential to aid weight-loss. We need this type of low calorie fiber to push everything through the system faster.Nobody needs to be dealing with constipation, its an ugly thing. Trust me on this Vegetables are Your best friend. I use them to bulk up meals and this helps Me feel fuller for longer. Adding a few mushrooms to eggs at breakfast or a little bit of rocket can bring up the veg intake. I also use fruit as little dessert pots with yogurt as a sweet fix and it also up’s my fiber intake so its a win win.
2) Be mindful of portions, We don’t need huge portions of food, smaller meals more frequently are more manageable on the system and keep the metabolism ticking along nicely. This also means less bloating which is a godsend in itself.
3) Don’t depend on food to feel better. Avoid using food as a treat, or a way to unwind after a long day, this only leads to mindless over eating. Its unnecessary and I always feel worse afterwards.
4) Be aware of habits, I used to have a habit of stopping at the shop on the way home from work. This was a disaster as temptation was everywhere to buy chocolate or biscuits and eat them in the car on the way home. Facing up to these habits is the first step in kicking them for good. I don’t stop at the shop now, unless its absolutely necessary. I also had a habit of eating something sweet the minute I came in from work to “unwind” This had to go, a cup of tea or a hot shower once I return from work will do the same job and not contribute to my waistline.
5)Focus 100% on the diet and get out for a walk 3-4 times a week. When I was trying to lose weight I’d be good Monday to Friday and fall off the wagon by giving in to junk food at the weekends.This is a viscous circle and got me nowhere, I’d feel stupid and guilty afterwards and it stopped me from getting to my goals. Our bodies cant tell the difference between week and weekend. When I broke that habit and started treating all 7 days the same the lbs started to melt away.
6)Hydrate, We all need water, its not just for weight-loss We need it to function properly. I’m exhausted and irritable if I’m dehydrated. Make sipping water a healthy habit for 2016, another great way to keep feeling full and flush out toxins.
7) Get creative in the kitchen, try out new recipes there are millions of food blogs, recipes, ideas on instagram, pinteret, snapchat etc. Think outside the box and if You have no ideas Yourself Google recipes. There is no need to be bored of meals these days.
8) Bulk cook and freeze, it saves time and money and helps lose weight. Its ridiculously cheap to do this. All the major supermarkets have deals on. its possible to make 4/5 portions of a meal like spagbol, chilli, curry etc for under €10. I don’t do it for the money I do it to save calories and create tastier healthy meals for myself. I Use whatever I save to buy new skinny clothes. This makes me very happy indeed. Take lunch to work.I cant have any control on My weight if I’m eating out all the time, its just not possible. The only way I can be sure of whats going in is if I prepare it Myself. Sometimes the food in cafes can be a bit of a let down. I prefer to make my own and its a great tool for weight control.
9) Keep a food diary, trust me You need to. Accountability with yourself is important.
10) Go out to a good quality restaurant once a month for a slap up meal, enjoy every morsel and don’t feel one bit guilty about it. My favorites are Flannerys Ballinrobe or Seasons Castlebar One really good quality meal out is worth its weight in gold.
11) Have fun and enjoy yourself, Join a group in Your local town. I’m a Unislim member. If You cant join in person join an online group of like minded people. we are all in this for the same reasons. We can motivate and inspire each other.